*********This problem will only affect you if you have original SliMP3
players or you limit the bitrate for your players (perhaps because of
flaky WiFi)***************

After a while away from Alien BBC (my ancient RH8 server entered a
library dependency vortex in 2006 preventing me from running Squeeze >
6.2, but I've now got a new shiny server running OpenSUSE x64 with SC
7.2).

I got round to installing the latest mplayer & Alien a couple of days
ago and all worked fine after reading and eventually discarding lots of
out of date information on configuration of mplayer.

So far so good, Softsqueeze and Squeezebox now playing (although
Softsqueeze requires you to pause and un-pause after starting the
stream to get it to actually send it to the sound hardware).

One problem remained - my ancient SliMP3 just produced white noise for
anything Alien could output.  The SliMP3 does not support raw PCM or
flac, so Squeezecentre uses lame to transcode it to mp3.  To confirm
this was the problem, I limited the Softsqueeze player to 320kbps
forcing it too, to use lame to transcode to mp3.  Same result - white
noise.

Looking at the lame process that runs when you playback a stream like
this, it specified an option -x which forces byte reversal of the
stream.  There's nothing I could find to indicate the stream coming out
of mplayer would be byte backwards, so I tracked this option down to the
custom-convert.conf and removed it.  This fixes the problem and my
SliMP3 now plays back Alien streams as mp3.

So if you experience this, try editing
/usr/share/squeezecenter/Plugins/Alien/custom-convert.conf

and change the line:-
rtsp mp3 * *
[mplayer.sh] $FILE$ | [lame] --silent -r -x -q $QUALITY$ -b
$BITRATE$ - -

to:-
rtsp mp3 * *
[mplayer.sh] $FILE$ | [lame] --silent -r -q $QUALITY$ -b
$BITRATE$ - -

Good to see the forum still working well - I fixed several other issues
in the last few hours searching here.

Cheers,
Scoot.

--