1) I have seen that, too, but it's purely an iPeng thing, I don't know
how SC can have anything to do with that.
In my experience it helps to try to hit the bar again, after you hit it
it will be fine.
I believe this happens when some memory warning hits while the bar is
being processed which pretty much is nothing I can do anything about.
The memory warnings come from time to time (they are meant as a ways of
garbage collection), pretty much independent of the actual memory used
and it seems to be a problem with iPhone's processing of the bar, I
don't do anything here.

2) That has nothing to do with searching for those categories at the
same time, it's still just one SC command, the reason is that iPeng
does an incremental search, so it will issue a new search command
whenever you type a character. This speeds things up a lot but only if
you've got a fast server. Maybe I should add an option to turn it off
for slow systems.

Could you issue a ticket?
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/newticket

--