> What does this tell us? Does this point us towards a better solution?

Not sure except SlimMP3 is treated special.

In the logs there is a buffer threshold is shown to be 65535. I odn't
have a SlimMP3 but I have tried using a bufferThreshold routine) to get
buffer this low and I cannot.

There are two possibilities.

1. AlienBBC timing has too long a startup for SlIMP3
2. The 65535 threshold is somehow blocking with flow control in the
mplayer-lame chain. Perhaps socketwrapper is dying or killing off the
chain (it does that if no data movement).

This could be tested if you run SC from a command prompt window and
player.source set to DEBUG - this will generate and show message from
socketwrapper.

Otherwise I think only a developer with slimp3 can investigate further.
I think user awy might be one to ask as he also was responsible for the
buffer threshold stuff.  The issues is probably no noticed on non
Windows platforms since bit rate limiting works and/or no
socketwrapper.

--
bpa