I fortunately just stumbled over this thread after very nearly tearing
out all my remaining hairs when my old Squeezebox V1 suddenly ceased to
play BBC stations after I upgraded SC (V3 and SoftSqueeze were just
fine).

I can confirm that nothing other than modifying custom-convert.conf
will actually work (and what a sweet place to hide that file (sic)).

Has this been reported to Slim as a bug?  For it appears to me that
$BITRATE$ is a token that should be replaced with whatever I configure
in my bitrate limiting?  I know that others in this thread *did not*
set bitrate limiting. However, in my experience, this is required for
anything pre-Squeezebox V2: my V1 never played the BBC "out of the box"
- I always needed to throttle.  Therefore, the player config for my V1
had throttling set to 128.

>From this thread, it seems to me that this setting is not correctly
substituted for $BITRATE$...

--