>Does that sound like a legitimate rationale?  Or am I thinking up a
>superfluous festoon of a feature simply because I imagine that I can
>program it?

Well, if that's what people do, then I guess it would be useful ;-)

I have my PC serving SC, and a bunch of players.  Occasionally, I use a netbook
in the lounge, or a PDA in the bedroom, but in both locations, I'd usually
interact with the player directly (ie. IR remote control).

I often use a web browser on the PC that serves SC.  eg. for controlling a Boom
box that is in that room on a bookcase behind the seat.  I use a web browser
occasionally from work to control music playback through a remote stream, or
just for browsing the music collection.

I don't find the SN web UI to be much use. I don't use SN much, but the SN web
UI even less.  I saw it as not much more than a way of setting up access to
services for SN connected players.  Does it provide much more than what you can
do through a player directly?

i.e. controlling local music playback through a web browser is quite nice
because you can see a lot of your library on one screen, including artwork.
With SN, you're mainly selecting a single radio station or service to play?

I've not tried using the SN Web UI from a PDA, but I'm guessing it wouldn't
work too well (I think the page uses frames, and the controls are on the
right-hand side of the page).

On the other side of things, aren't web browsers good at storing
bookmarks/favorites?  :-)  I have SN bookmarked, so if I did need it, I could
get to it quickly.  Thinking about it, it's a bit weird that there's not a link
to the users SN account from within SC.

Phil