I've had Squeezeslave version .7x working on Squeezecenter up to version
7.3.2. However, upgrading to 7.3.3 caused Squeezeslave to deliver no
sound when playing any song on my server. Internet radio still worked
(though still with the long-time bug that lower bit-rate channels play
back at higher speed and higher pitch).

I tried upgrading Squeezeslave to version .8-26, and now I get the
error message
Portaudio error: host error.

I have checked permissions, and there has been no change from before:
Squeezeslave, Squeezecenter, etc. are all members of the Audio group, as
are root and my username.

I'd appreciate any help.

Here's more info on my system:

Ubuntu 8.04.1 Server (headless)
AMD 64 bit version (Squeezeslave version is the AMD64 version--that's
why I didn't try Squeezeslave .9, since there's no compiled version
available for AMD64 yet)
2 Gigs RAM, plenty of RAID 5 space, plenty of un-RAIDed boot and swap
partitions
ECS motherboard with ATI/AMD 740 chip set (integrated sound and
graphics).

If you have thoughts on this, please recall that this system was
working previously.

Please don't assume I know very much about Linux. While I was
programming in Fortran back in the 1960s, I am far from my programming
days. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable with Windows, but this was
the first Linux box I ever built.

Thanks again to anyone who can help.

--Dean L. Surkin

--