Paul_B;439924 Wrote:
> Strangely enough I was up late last night and the wife's laptop screen
> briefly flashed on before a lot of disk activiity and then it went off.
> It does this often (I recognise the noise but the lid is not normally
> up). Before this activity the power LED was glowing on and off
> indicating standby mode, after the activity the light was completely off
> which means hibernation.
>
> So does it automatically resume before going into hibernation and is
> their a hook for the short wake before deep sleep?
Well, windows should broadcast a WM_POWERBROADCAST message with wParam
equal to PBT_APMRESUMEAUTOMATIC to all apps in this situation.  But I
doubt that windows will let apps know that it plans on going immediately
into hibernation.  Apps will just receive another WM_POWERBROADCAST,
PBT_APMSUSPEND pair as the system prepares to hibernate.  This suspend,
wakeup, hibernate dance does seem kind of silly...and almost seems like
a holdover from the old Windows 3 days when each hardware vendor had to
provide their own suspend / hibernation facility.  I've got the Windows
7 RC1 on my laptop.  I should try this out and see if win7 handles this
with any more aplomb...e.g. hybrid sleep slipping directly into
hibernation.

--
gharris999