Good question.  A big part of the .cue thing was that I started that way
maybe five years ago.  At the time either flac wasn't a 'thing' or I
just didn't know about it.  I was into mixed cd's then and gapless
playback was critical.

Once in the habit, I kept ripping that way.  Since, I have reinforced
my thought process and still like the method for my purposes.  I still
have a lot of gapless music (and yes I know flac supports this) but also
I keep and stream .wav files which have inferior tagging capabilities.
My backup files are flacs and also a lot of my primary music.  I do have
a lot of separate, individual files but about 600 albums are cue/wav.

A few friends with very nice systems swear they can hear the difference
between wav and flac files, one even says he can hear a decompressed
flac (now wav) file versus a pristine one that's never been compressed.
I haven't done any careful evaluations on either count and don't have an
opinion on either scenario but I do like the idea of having a copy
that's 'just what's on the disc'.  I also like knowing th

I wouldn't re-rip my collection for the unlikely benefit, but since
it's there I don't want to give it up either.

I like knowing the waveform is precisely what's on the disc as far as
track gaps and also EAC's offset corrections are way less important with
one big file instead of individual tracks.

Aside from occasional software concerns (SB Server) there really isn't
a downside either.  EAC and Foobar treat .cue tracks just as they would
individual files.

--
miklorsmith