simonm;505911 Wrote:

> I see that some changes have been made and AlienBBC is no longer the
> favoured plugin for BBC iPlayer / Live Radio.

AlienBBC plays RealAudio streams and BBC are stopping RealAudio In
March 2010 - so AlienBBC will not work in 3 months. AlienBBC "LIsten
Again" has also stopped working for a few months due to BBC changes.

> - Is BBCiPlayer a viable choice for a non-UK resident to listen to the
> live BBC streams?

Yes but you also have choices.

Since June 2009 BBC have WMA streams for all live national for non UK
listeners - so there is no need for any plugin to listen to  - you can
use BBC App on SBS and on mysqueezebox.com.

BBCiPlayer enables you to play the Flash/AAC streams which are better
quality for same bit rate.

> - Should I downgrade Squeezecenter (and therefore MySQL) so I can use
> AlienBBC again (where I had no issue).

No - BBC will kill off the streams in March 2010. Radio 4 via AlienBBC
will be dead, defunct, no more ...

> - Does anyone else use BBCiPlayer from a non-UK location without
> issues?

Yes - 100's

> It could be that the BBC are having technical problems with the R4
> stream and I should just try again later...

Could be your setup - you give minimal info.
What version of BBCiPlayer ?
What type of processor ?
Try increasing WebUI Settings/Network/Radio Station Timeout.

Also try BBC App and play Radio 4 WMA stream

--
bpa