stevekgoodwin;534839 Wrote:
> Scrolling. If you know a bit of perl you need to expand the .par file
> (it's just a zip (into the parent directory)) and then edit Plugin.pm
> and remove getLongWeather in %providers around line 224. Comment out
> the getLongWeather bit with a hash and change the last , in the
> previous line to );   Worked for me, but I don't rely on anything its
> fetching.
>
> my %providers =  (
> ..snip..
> '11' => \&getStocks);
> #                  '12' => \&getLongWeather);
>
> In other news I've written a new provider to go fetch info from
> bom.gov.au. It's "official" weather and more regularly updated than
> weather.com, and sometimes less weird than wunderground's results (it
> also has better coverage than weather.com)  Handily bom.gov.au provides
> data 3 formats, so no HTML scraping (I've got a Squeezbox V3).
>
> Is this the sort of thing that should be tidied up and placed into the
> main branch? Or should it remain an oddity? However... the more of
> these things placed into the main branch the further it diverges from
> its original intent, and I really don't expect the original author to
> have too much interest in maintaining Australian weather.
>
> I haven't gone to the length of updating the UI at the moment. Happy to
> do that if there's interest.
>
> (I apologise if this has been covered in some shape or form, 150+ is
> too many to read).

Good to see someone expanding the functionality of the plugin.  Instead
of altering SuperDateTime's plugin.pm SDT does expose some functions via
an API for making a independent plugin that adds a data provider to SDT
to easily add its own display content.

If you search the forums I've provided some details on the API in the
past, you can also look at
http://gregbrown.net/squeeze/SuperDateTime/OceanTides/OceanTides1-1-0.zip
for a dated (may need tweaks to work with latest Squeeze Server)
example.  There are a couple more examples at
http://code.google.com/p/mdmplugins/

Like you said instead of bloating SDT for something like this it'd be
best to create a simple plugin that SDT calls when it's doing refreshes
that will handle the new parsing and pass back the additional display
info.

Cheers
-Greg

--