infinityplus1;591271 Wrote:
> But I cant seem to see whitebear from WMP11, XBOX360, or itunes...   Is
> there something I need to do for those control points?  Or is it not
> possible to get them to "Play To"?My goodness, what bad luck!! You seem to
> have chosen THE three clients
that don't work:

Windows Media Player 11 is NOT a UPnP media client or control point; it
is ONLY a UPnP Media Server. This means it can make its own music
library available to other control points, but it cannot read a music
library published by another Media Server (such as Whitebear). And it
can play music to itself, but it cannot "Play To" UPnP Media Renderers
(such as Whitebear). In other words, WMP11 is more-or-less useless in
the UPnP Media world...

Windows Media Player 12 is by contrast a full featured UPnP Media
Server, UPnP Media Control Point and UPnP Media Renderer, but
unfortunately it is NOT available on Windows XP. I suppose MS hope to
"motivate" you to upgrade your O/S...

iTunes simply does not support open standards; this is Apple's policy.
People often complain about Microsoft, but really Apple is far far
worse...

XBox 360 ought to work with Whitebear; but it is notorious for being
ultra- picky about the UPnP servers it will talk to. Unfortunately I
don't have an XBox for testing, so I have not been able to tweak
Whitebear sufficiently  to get it working. => However, if you are
willing to be my guinea pig for testing it, then we could together try
out a few tweaks on Whitebear until we get it working. Please let me
know if you are interested.

--
AndrewFG

Regards,
AndrewFG

Try out Whitebear. The middleware that joins the two worlds of:
1. UPnP/DLNA media clients and media players, and,
2. Squeezebox Server and Squeeze Players
Download it for free here: http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver