Whilst this is not a long term solution, (a two hour HACK would be a
better description), and I have zero interest in supporting it, I spent
a couple of hours this afternoon hacking together a solution to play the
Spotify streams without volume normalization. Using jspotify (based on
despotify, which is a third-party, unauthorized non-official libspotify
API implementation that was reverse engineered), I have implemented a
Java server which only implements the streaming of tracks. So Triode's
spotifyd is still used for metadata, etc. etc. The Java SpotifyHelper
server listens on a user allocated port (eg. 9002) for track streaming
requests and services them, converting the ogg stream to PCM without
volume normalization. A couple of quick hacks are required to Triode's
perl code to change the httpport that the client connects to for remote
streaming and disable prefetching. Also, the code is currently only
capable of streaming PCM so you need to disable sflc from the UI.
Whilst I'm happy to share, as I've said my interest in supporting this
is zero, (I simply do not have time), so you need to be comfortable
editing pm files. Some simple instructions and you're pretty much on
your own. PM me if you want the Java SpotifyHelper application. (Recent
Java required >= 1.6 and please, no trying to run this on ARM or NAS!
;))

--
JackOfAll