jstraw;624937 Wrote:

> The UI has a lot of room for improvement. I hope you don't mind the
> input.

Not at all. I'm currently working on a makeover with my graphics
designer.
So it's the right time for suggestions.

> Can we get the bottom control set on landscape mode? I prefer landscape
> because the text is more readable.

That's almost for sure a "no".
I plan to add the subpages (playlist and players) and you could then
use the controls on the player pages. But the bottom controls just take
up too much space.
And putting them on the overlay would uglify the only "screen saver"
view iPeng has.

> I've always felt that the font-scaling to fit information onto a single
> line was problematic.

Well, it's certainly not beautiful but frankly, I don't have a better
solution, yet. Maybe the new font will help a bit but I don't know yet.
To discuss the alternatives:
#1: Cutting off the text at the end and finding a compromise font. Will
make things look bad for small titles and shorten the text for long
ones.

> I'd prefer an unchanging, larger font and either wrapping text

With wrapping you mean more lines per row?
That would limit the number of rows to display (in landscape mode to
two or so) and leave a lot of empty space on the screen.
Having variable sized rows is not an option for performance reasons.

> or text on a horizontal crawl.

Then which one crawls? There is no cursor on iPhone.
All of them? That would look _uuuugly__ as hell.
Plus you would be surprised about how fast the text would have to
scroll to get the text through in a reasonable amount of time.
Scrolling text probably works for single status elements but not for
whole texts.

> Long titles/artists/albums are quite unreadable. This is compounded in
> many cases by the low contrast of gray text on a blue background.

You mean for the title on the top bar in portrait mode?
The color scheme is going to change.

> I'd be happy with an option to use the entire screen for text...either
> as an overlay on album art, or replacing it.

Now you've lost me. For which screen?

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com