Thanks Erland, I already use those plugins, and they are great!

The formatting strings of fb2k are very powerful, so they would open up
lots of new possibilities.
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Title_Formatting_Reference

Some of the things I have in mind that I don't think are possible are
things like formatting conditional on genre and/or path (to have
different formatting for say, classical and pop music), changing case,
replacing characters in combinations of several fields, for instance
showing just the two last digits from a year instead of full
date/year.

Thanks for the advice about registering a new title format. I haven't
really looked into customizing squeeze play, are the defined title
formats not used there?

I am primarily concerned about what is displayed during playback, and
avoiding customizing my tags to the limitations in display size of the
squeeze box would be a nice improvement imo.

--
verdemar