yocky wrote:
> As I understand it, tagging files with Musicbrainz will enable my
> ratings to survive when I rename or move the files (or both) because the
> files are uniquely identified by the Musicbrainz IDs rather than
> location and filename.
>
> First of all, is my understanding correct?

Yes, but if you have a lot of compilation albums you might get an
issue.
The issue is that some time ago Musicbrainz changed principes so they
don't identify a track uniquely, instead identify a recording. If you
have a normal album and compilation album with with the same song, this
results in that they typically get the same musicbrainz id and in such
setup TrackStat musicbrainz logic doesn't work reliably for these
tracks. THere is an option in TrackStat settings page where you can
disable musicbrainz logic if you are affected by this problem.

yocky wrote:

> And if so then would the ratings survive being moved/renamed in any
> circumstance or would I require a full rescan followed by a restoration
> of the ratings from a backup file? I ask because my few tests of this
> have resulted in my rating being lost...but I haven't tried the complete
> rescan yet.

To things have to happen for it to work:
1. You have to do either an incremental scan or a full rescan after you
have added musicbrainz tags to the files, else the tags aren't available
in the LMS database.
2. TrackStat needs to perform its refresh operation once after the full
rescan, this should happen after a rescan or at server startup unless
you have explicitly disabled refresh in TrackStat settings page.

After this you should be able to:
1. Rename/move a file
2. Perform a rescan (incremental or full) to detect its new
location/name
3. Let TrackStat perform its refresh operation after the rescan (or at
server startup) which will result in that your ratings are restored.

If it doesn't work, I would suggest two things:
1. Install the free Database Query plugin and run the "TrackStat
inconsistency/problems" and "Squeezebox Server inconsistency/problems"
queries and see if they indicate and problems. You can also try the
other Squeezebox Server and TrackStat queries to verify that you really
have musicbrainz id's in the database.
2. Verify in the LMS/SBS server.log file that you get a message like
"TrackStat: Synchronizing TrackStat data, please wait..." in the
server.log file after a rescan is performed, if no such message exists
it's an indication that the refresh operation has been disabled.

As a side note, if you have explicitly disabled automatic refresh, there
is a button to do a manual refresh in the backup section of TrackStat
settings page.