bpa wrote:
> I can't remember as it was in 2007 but it would be irrelevant as it
> depends on what options you choose and whether you need to statically
> link libraries.
>
> For some NAS platforms with their own flavour of Linux, it was necessary
> to statically link libraries to mplayer which increased its size greatly
> but meant binaries could be distributed.
>
> Mplayer can support many different audio and video codecs and transport
> protocols.  If you restrict the number of codecs - you can reduce size
> of binary as well.
>
> For video playback, alternatives you should also consider ffmpeg (which
> is v. close to mplayer in terms of code) or VLC as I think they may have
> a better build system.

Thank you soo much again.

Here is what I am trying to do:

I am trying to play mms or rtsp streams from internet on my STB. ( Such
as this one: mms://85.111.3.55/ntv You can easily watch it by using VLC
on your ubuntu :) )

In order to do that, I understand that I need two things:

1) Be able to get mms and rtsp streams
a) ffmpeg seems does not support mms (am I wrong? )
b) mplayer seems to get stream, and can decode video and audio by
ffmpeg ( libavcodec). But I feel the SPEED problem is not because of
displaying; it is because of Transcoding ( Because when I play same
stream with mplayer on my kubuntu, seems playing well, and Audio / Video
frames are quite fast) Also, I tried with "-vo null -ao null -nosound".
This time, I feel that it is not transcoding, so speed looks very very
nice ( I am checking frame speed from the bottom info on the console
when I start mplayer)
c) Cross-compiling VLC ( I really want to do this, but I couldn't
figure out how to do it)

2) Display video & play audio
Celestial ( Cavium) has provided access to their DEMUX, VIDEO and AUDIO
decoders as open source. With this way, we can play TS files ( 1920x1080
HP@HL) and all MP3 files without any problem. I am now thinking, should
I do something like: "Get the stream with ffmpeg, transcode to TS, and
play with demux".. What do you think about this?

Again, many thanks for your kindness...