ralphy wrote:
> Yes, arecord uses the colon.  ecasound changed the -i alsa format a
> while ago.
>
> It took me a while to figure it out.
>
> ecasound -i:alsahw,Loopback,1 -C -D -d:0 -o:stdout
>
> arecord -q -f cd -D hw:Loopback,1 -t wav -

Thanks think I've got to the same understanding now.

Ok so, arecord -D hw:loopback,1 -f cd | aplay -D hw:0 -f cd works and I
get sound locally on the server, when I use arecord with WavInput I get
sound on the Squeezebox but with hiss and 1 out of 3 attempts static.

Taking a step back I am trying to get ecasound to take the shairplay
stream and output to the speakers on the server before taking the leap
to Squeezebox.

2,1 is the output of the loopback
0,1 is definitely my server soundcard headphone jack

I'm trying the following command to output to the speakers under a trial
and error of all sorts of user accounts / permissions yet to no avail so
the issue lies with alsa / ecasound I think:

ecasound -C -D -ddd -i:alsa,hw,2:0 -o:alsa,hw,0:1
ecasound -C -D -ddd -i:alsahw,2,0 -o:alsahw,0,1

Thanks Ralph for your input so far, I will crack this at somepoint.