I have a vortexbox from the first generation (yum upgraded over time to
vortexbox 1.10), and wanted a way to feed audio straight in the pink
jack in the front for live playing. All I really needed to do was
install the plugin and make sure squeezeboxserver (LMS) had permission
to use the audio subsystem; then I played with alsamixer to improve the
quality.

The steps I used:

-  Install the plugin using the Squeezebox server settings page (I'm
  on Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.0 - r33626 @ Sun Dec 4 16:28:24
  EST 2011)
-  Log into the vortexbox using ssh
-  sudo bash (use the Vortexbox how-tos to figure out how to do this)
-  edit (I use vi, but you may want to use nano) /etc/group
-  find the line with "audio" on it, and add ",squeezeboxserver" to
  the list of folks in the group. If there aren't any, don't use the
  comma
-  So you can do your own hacking around on this later, put your own
  name on that list (comma first)
-  From the vortexbox control panel, stop squeezebox server
-  *Verify that it actually stopped* by using "ps -ef | grep
  squeezeboxserver |grep -v grep" in your command line. Mine didn't (the
  command showed something; if the process is dead, that command won't
  show anything).
-  Really kill it and restart it. Either use the Unix "kill" command
  on the process you were just told about, then start it again from the
  Vortexbox GUI, or reboot your vortexbox using the system menu
-  At this point, when I entered wavin:default on the Tune-in URL, I
  got sound. You might not get so lucky. THe right utility for me was
  "alsamixer", which with some playing around got me going. I needed:

  -  On the -capture- controls (I just use alsamixer --all so I can
    see all the controls and don't run into problems with my Macintosh
    not forwarding function keys), I needed the front mic set at about
    2/3rds, and the 'digital' at about a 40.
  -  On all the -playbacks-, I turned everything off. For line-level
    inputs, I definitely neeeded to turn off any front mic boost.

-  Sound's still not great, but adequate for my purposes; I'm testing
  with a fairly crappy source. Lag's a few seconds.