I don't recall the earlier discussions, but are you sure you're
interpreting TEN's terms correctly.

No, I'm not a lawyer. And I hate to read ALL UPPERCASE TEXT :-).

The text you've quoted is from their ground rules for developers,

The first of these ground rules is "Use common sense.". I'm a big fan of using common sense.

and clearly it forbids you, the developer, from registering for
multiple keys.

That's not even my understanding. I think it's one single key per application.

But it seems odd that
this rule should force all the end users to share your key.  Are you
sure this rule forbids you from providing your end users with a way to
enter their own keys (like we do, for instance, with bpa's 'Find Cover
Art' plugin)?  Has this been clarified with TEN?

Just to get some context, here's the full paragraph which contains the quote I posted previously:

"Help us manage server and bandwidth costs. - Don't use the API or feeds in a manner that exceeds reasonable request volume, or constitutes excessive or abusive usage as determined by The Echo Nest. Don't register for multiple API keys in an attempt to cirumvent rate limits."(*)

Now common sense tells me that if they tell me not to use multiple keys to work around bandwidth limitations, then it doesn't matter to them whether it's me (the dev) doing it or the user. They obviously have to do a living from their service by selling commercial licenses. But yet they're giving away keys for free under certain limitations. I do respect this. I'm thankful I can use their service for free at all.

If you want to work around this limitation on your own, then feel free to hack the code. Just don't tell me, because I want you to be the one who break the rules, not me :-P.

(* I'm not responsible for the typos in this quote, this is a copy/paste job :-))

--

Michael