dbinder101 wrote:
> I have a few hundred tracks that echonest is not recognizing. I know
> some have crappy tags associated with them, but quite a few are tracks
> from CDs that I've ripped via dbPowerAmp so I know their tags should be
> correct. And, no, these are npt compilations or "Best Of" that might
> throw it off, they're pretty simple one-artist or group types of tracks.
> Is there an easy way to cross-check the unrecognized tracks with what
> echonest is expecting them to be so I can make the appropriate changes
> for echonest to recognize them?

Regarding recovering unrecognised tracks, the following system is
working for me.
It takes advantage of the fact that Michael's Blender will easily show
you the exact titles of many (perhaps most) of the songs that are known
to TEN for any given artist. I use this information to correct the tags
on my flac files. My setup is ReadyNAS Duo, SmartMix 1.3, WinXP, Chrome,
MSWord, dbPowerAmp, MP3Tag.

1)  Create a convenient list of all your unrecognised tracks:
LMS/Settings/Advanced/SmartMix/Run Analysis.
Wait until finished, then click "All & sorted".
Copy and paste the resulting list into a text editor so that you can
easily view and manipulate it. Use line count or similar to determine
how many unrecognised tracks are in the list. Remember that number and
compare it to the next time you Run Analysis. The difference represents
your recovered tracks and the fruits of your labour.

2)  Open the Blender and switch to the Advanced screen.
3)  Ensure that most fields and drop-downs are empty and that all
sliders are set to their wide default positions. I think the only
critical settings are:
Type = artist.
SongType = empty.
SeedCatalog = unchecked.
Buckets = empty.     <      <      <<< this is the trick

4)  Type any artist's name into the Artist field.
TEN will return the songs that it knows by that artist. These are not
your local songs; they're from TEN's database. For instance for the
artist Ry Cooder, TEN currently returns 87 songs.
5)  Sort the list of songs by clicking on Title in column headings.
6)  Find the song title that you want to inspect and doubleclick it. In
the info box that appears, highlight and copy the title that TEN is
using. Copying reduces the chance that you'll be caught-out by odd
punctuation (e.g. sometimes TEN uses the Hx60 character instead of Hx27
for apostrophe).
6)  Paste that name into your file's tags.
7)  Work systematically through your list of unrecognised tracks. The
tagging problem to fix will vary - perhaps song name, perhaps artist
name. And of course there will be lots of tracks that you own that TEN
simply does not know about.
8)  Try not to get frustrated with TEN's inconsistencies :-) Sometimes
capitalisation matters, sometimes not. Usually notes are ignored (e.g.
[feat. xyz], [live], [LP version]) but not always. Oh well.

I have 11183 local flac files that I felt were meticulously tagged.
Nevertheless there were 2814 unrecognised tracks. After working through
about two-thirds of my original list, the unrecognised tracks are now
2380. Still not a great percentage but those are 500 more songs that
SmartMix can use for music mixing.

Cheers