mherger wrote:
> Editing on Windows, transfering to a Linux system
> using Samba, writing to a fat32 file system... there are too many ways
>
> this can break. You better just drop an artist.jpg file in a folder of
>
> that artist. I don't know whether I'll ever figure this one out.

I recently came across an interesting perl module while looking for an
easy way to improve my file name cleaning script: 'Text::Unidecode'
(http://search.cpan.org/~sburke/Text-Unidecode-0.04/lib/Text/Unidecode.pm):

> What Text::Unidecode provides is a function, unidecode(...) that takes
> Unicode data and tries to represent it in US-ASCII characters. The
> representation is almost always an attempt at transliteration -- i.e.,
> conveying, in Roman letters, the pronunciation expressed by the text in
> some other writing system.

You could use the transliterated artist name for the file name,
completely avoiding any special characters. It's pure perl, so it'd be
easy to bundle.

[ extGUI4LMS - an alternative web interface: 'forum'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98186-Announce-Alternative-Web-Interface-(beta))
/ 'homepage' (http://code.google.com/p/extgui4lms/) ]