Thanks ! I was considering upgrading the NAS anyway, because it has a
hard time converting on the fly to MP3 whenever I want to listen to
music from my personal "cloud" (meaning playing on my iPad for instance
using the iPeng app over the WAN). Qobuz does not have everything I own,
so I still need my personal storage.

The attempt on the PC was merely to test with a high CPU power machine
so I can definitely exclude this factor. As it sounds, the iPad must be
using a different API indeed, so no good benchmark, although it at least
tells me that my network works fine ... :):)