bpa wrote:
> Reread the BBC press release about Audio Factory - the following para is
> from it.
>

> HDS and HLS are next generation streaming protocols for audio and video
> which can alter bit rate dynamically and so can handle varying networks
> loads and avoid re-buffering etc. HLS is from Apple (wth a perfunctory
> nod to IETF) and HDS is from Adobe and IIRC DASH should be the proper
> standard

Ah, that rubbish. I was hoping the BBC would ditch that idea. The
problem is ensuring you have fast enough broadband that it gives you the
highest quality stream. I tried with the DASH tests of quadraphonic
broadcasting at the Proms this year, and it kept dynamically slowing
down my stream even thougn I had plenty of bandwidth to take the best
stream.

This will be the end of Radio 3 at 320kbps for me, it will always be
turning the stream down. And even get_iplayer may not be able to avoid
it, because the server end doesn't always know it's a download and I
don't care how long it takes.