- other than using CLI or HTTP interface, is there a way to inform LMS
of a volume change on a device ? I'm a bit confused here on how boom and
other do that, for example

Volume is handled on the server. When you change the volume on Boom, then it's telling the server "hey, someone hit that button. What do you want me to do?". And the server will in return tell it to change the volume.

Radio is a bit different in that regard. It would change volume locally, but still talk to the server, and listen to server initiated volume chnages.

Now I'm not sure what other way you are looking for. From an external application (could use CLI)? From a plugin (could use CLI, too, or $client->volume)?

- similar, is there a command that is sent by LMS to turn on /off a
device ? all I had today is to declare myself as a receiver and use the
"ledc" command ... huh ?

$client->power()

- is there a way to request/get the size & duration of the stream that
LMS will send ? (it is not in the HTTP header sent)  is a bit a pain
today as some upnp devices do not like to not know the size of the song,
and tend to consider is a live stream then (which prevents proper track
transition)

You need to be a little more specific as I still don't understand from which pov you're trying to get that information.

- some upnp device are unable to properly pause (even on non live stream
... they can't resume where they stop) so I'll send a seek command when
unpause but, same question, any other option that through the CLI ?

Dito. Why not the CLI?

--

Michael