I tried to look through the active processes for anything that would
involve pulseaudio. I tried "ps aux | grep pulse" and "ps aux | grep pa"
and found nothing. I also shut down ecasound, the squeezeboxserver, and
squeezelite. I can record a .wav file fine with arecord. However, the
issue still occurs when I try to use WaveInput. Do you know of any other
processes that could interfere with the audio? Do you know if I might
have missed a pulseaudio process? My only other thought is to mess with
the ALSA mixer. See if the audio is getting mixed somehow at the output.
The documentation for how the Wolfson card is modified by the alsamixer
seems to be lacking though, so this could be quite a bit of trial and
error.

I need to record the audio at a high bit rate using a lossless format
like .wav or .flac, so the .mp3 solution wouldn't work for my purposes.
Also, I have had a real headache trying to get pulseaudio working with
my Pi's before, so I'd try to avoid that if possible. If the mixer thing
doesn't pan out though, I may have to go that route.

Cheers,

Michael