philippe_44 wrote:
> You do not need to open these ports as they are socket pair to talk to
> players. Typically, a upnp player will indicate its inbound/listening
> port (1400 for SOnos, 8080 for my Marantz ... they all vary) and sq2
> will use that as a dst port when opening a socket pair, the src port
> will be whatever is available. The player will respond to sq2u, on this
> pair, using that src port, but you do not need to open it in your
> firewall. The same logic applies for communication with LMS.
>
> But passive listening sockets must be opened, and this is where I think
> 1900 is needed here (SSDP) but this one is most of the time already
> opened in Win - I think
>
> What happens from time to time, in Win systems, is when you launch a new
> app for the 1st time, you are prompted to allow or not that app to
> "access the network". If you say no by mistake, this is where streaming
> with the player will fail
I don't understand enough about IP to comprehend this.  If a port is
used (e.g. 8080) surely it needs to be open?   Being a simple fellow I
expected the UPnP definitions (not you of course) to say precisely what
was required, but it seems not.

When setting it all up (on linux) my recollection is that 8080 seemed to
be needed for sq2u, but I don't have 1900 open on the server.  The ufw
linux firewall is very simple, but brutal - it assumes almost nothing
(as far as I know) and blocks almost everything. Windows may well
attempt to be a lot cleverer, leaving some ports open (and there is much
on the web about the risk of UPnP ports being left open on the WAN
side).

LMS 7.9 on VortexBox Midi, Xubuntu 14.04, FLACs 16->24 bit,
44.1->192kbps. LMS & Squeeze2upnp (Beta - derived from squeezelite) to
Musical Fidelity M1 CLiC and Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.  Squeezelite
to PC sound.  Minimserver (server) and upplay (control point) to same
amps & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.  Meridian USB Explorer DAC from PCs
to speakers/headphones.  Wireless Xubuntu 14.04 laptop controls
LMS/upplay via Firefox.   Have a Touch with EDO, and a spare, but don't
use.