Thanks again pippin.  Here is the information you requested.

1 - previously it was loading the menu initially in something like 3
seconds.  I never actually timed it back then simply because I was very
happy with that performance.  Now it's taking 10-20 seconds and it's
frustrating when all you want to do is turn off the player.

2 - it does get better on consecutive starts - while the app is still in
memory then it's almost instantaneous.  Once it has loaded up then it
appears to stay in memory (cached) for a while.  However, it does not
stay like that for as long as 12 hours - again I've never timed it, but
for now at least I would say we're talking well less than one hour.  It
will take me a while to be able to get a more accurate value on that.

3- all IP addresses (that are relevant to the discussion) on my network
are reserved based on MAC address and never change.  Server, player,
iPad are always on their same IP addresses respectively.

4 - I would never do a full 'clear & re-scan' unless absolutely
necessary.  Overnight scans are always incremental.

5 - There is nothing shown in the server log to explain this.  The last
entry in the log is timed at 09:57:44 today, but I have seen the problem
happen a few times since then.

Hope that helps,
Richard