Just an update with my experience so far, in particular with ffmpeg.

System:
HP Microserver running Ubuntu Server 12.04, LMS 7.9.0

Originally installed:
ffmpeg (using apt-get) - version 8.1x
bpa's plugin
bonze's menu.oplm

As many have said, there was the problem of multiple copies of ffmpeg
running as channels were changed, etc, etc

Today:
Downloaded the appropriate (32 or 64 bit) ffmpeg 2.5.4 static build from
http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/
Unzipped it with 7-Zip
Removed the existing installed version of ffmpeg using:
- sudo apt-get remove ffmpeg (I had intended to use "purge" instead of
"remove" but forgot)
- sudo apt-get autoremove (to remove the packages which were installed
along with ffmpeg)
Copied the new static build of ffmpeg 2.5.4 to the /usr/bin/ folder.
Restarted the Microserver.

Result: everything now works fine, ffmpeg closes down properly and there
are no multiple copies running.

My heartfelt thanks to bpa, bonze and everyone else.

Touch, Meridian G92, Meridian G55, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant
Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.