Hi,

Has anyone been able to use vlc as a transcoder for a plugin?

I've been trying to use it to support MPEG-DASH in a proof of concept
plugin (trying to get ahead of the Beeb) but I can't get it to work.

First of all, I think VLC 3 is required, which I have installed on my
Mac (this makes it a bit more difficult as there isn't a simple vlc
binary in /usr/bin etc)

What I have a is a simple script in my plugin/Bin directory:

Code:
--------------------
    #!/bin/sh
  /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC
--------------------

which is executable, then in my custom-convert.conf I have:

Code:
--------------------
    dash flc * *
        # RB:{BITRATE=-B %B}T:{START=-ss %s}
        [playdash.sh] $FILE$ -I dummy -q --no-sout-video --sout
'#transcode{acodec=flac,channels=2,ab=128,samplerate=44100}:standard{access=file,mux=dummy,dst=-}'
 vlc://quit -
--------------------

(Which I'm sure bpa will realise has been based heavily/copied from the
excellent playHLS plugin - i tried the playhls.sh but that didn't work
either when changing the app path so I've tried to simplify it a lot)

I have the transcoding option enabled under file types so that's all
good, but nothing happens when I try and play a DASH stream. I have
validated the DASH stream works with the command line:

Code:
    /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC <stream> -I dummy -q
--no-sout-video --sout
'#transcode{acodec=flac,channels=2,ab=128,samplerate=44100}:standard{access=file,mux=dummy,dst=-}'
 vlc://quit -

In that it dumps a lot of binary output to the console so I think it's
more my plugin set up that isn't working.