1. Yes as dst was "-" i took it to mean stdout
2. It's an internal URL to my home network. I transcoded a flac file to
an AAC DASH format (multiple files all served by an apache web server,
generated the .mpd file). This was all done using the gpac tools, MP4Box
to create the DASH files. I've tested playback from the URL with
MP4Client and it works flawlessly, it's just MP4Client outputs direct to
speakers so (as far as I know)you can't chain it into squeezebox without
doing some sound flower type munging (which won't work as the mac I'm
using plays other media content locally through the sound output
devices).
3. On a mac you just get the VLC.app as the mac application. A mac
application is actually a folder containing all the bits needed
(resources, data etc). This includes the actual executable binary, of
which there sonly VLC, hence my command line. I read that cvlc was a
wrapper to VLC -I rc and as I'm using the dummy interface, (-I dummy) i
thought this should work. Running it with -I dummy does not launch a GUI
so I think this part is OK.
4. I didn't know about xplay, I'll check it out, thanks.