robjordan wrote:

> Chaoticmike, you don't need to know where to install ffmpeg if you are
> installing it with apt-get. It will be placed in /usr/bin and made
> executable.

Hi all, I eventually got things going smoothly, via a combination of a
kernel upgrade, moving from Debian Squeeze to Wheezy, updating to the
latest LMS, acquiring an ARM-specific ffmpeg and a bit of help and
encouragement from mrw.

Clincher for me was knocking out a startup script that was invoking a
hangover instance of squeeeboxserver; my poor Sheevaplug was actually
running two LMS instances simultaneously until I spotted the issue via
the classic 'ps -ef | grep "squeezeboxserver"' command.  It is quite
strange relearning old skills and using half remembered commands from 20
years ago, and I am now experiencing the heady joys of nano (hurts a lot
less than vi!), and rediscovering run levels, symbolic links and the
rcN.d directories.

I still reserve my spleen and vitriol for the BBC and the poorly handled
changeover.

Finally, am I going to be disenfranchised from Listen Again in the near
future, using my combination of LMS, Triode's plug-in and bpa's plug-in?
I can't work out if I am now future-proofed, or if some further arcane
machination of the BBC's that you all understand but I don't is going to
snatch Listen Again away from me...

Mike