Hello,

Thanks for all the additional replies. To address the various
issues/questions:

1. I was using this particular version of LMS as I was having problems
with the stable version media scanner falling over on many files in my
library. There were known problems with the (7.8, I think) scanner at
the time, so I tried the latest version, and it scanned everything
without issue. Everything else was (as far as I was aware) working fine,
so as it wasn't 'broke' (I thought), there was no need to 'fix it'.
2. The recent issues I've had appear to have brought a long standing
problem with my system out from hiding. Apart from this problem, it's
been rock solid since the day I installed it.
3. It is running on a 32 bit operating system (Ubuntu 13.10),
specifically because of the library dependencies noted by Dom in a
VMWare virtual machine.

So, what's the recommended version at the moment? I'll try that. Or, if
there are no known major problems with the latest 7.9 then I'll go with
that.

Thanks once more for all the help with this.