Alright, had some time now to play around with playlists. Everything
works as advertised. Even better, as I have often read that the LMS does
not like long playlists. Seems that my barebone brings enough power to
the table to offset tais particular disadvantage. I have a
monster-playlist of almost 2.000 songs and it plays just fine - I can
even have it shuffled.

So, thanks again, pippin, for pointing me in the right direction. And
for what it's worth, today I replaced the last Sonos ZP with a RaspBerry
running PiCore. iPeng played a major role in making me swap systems.
Thank you for this brilliant software!