Yes Apple has recently decided to break some assumptions that are still
valid on all other OSes...

What they've done is not silly, though. They have integrated in their
wifi routers (and appleTVs, AFAIK) a sleep proxy server that is there to
register services (let's say: a network file share) from computers that
are going to sleep, then steal the MAC address of the computer. As a
result the share stays online, and if a computer on the LAN connects to
it, the proxy box gets hit, WOLs the computer and releases the MAC.
Since laptops move around, the requirement of briefly waking up is there
to refresh leases with the proxy, in order to keep the list of available
services relatively reliable.

All in all I think it is quite smart as it makes use of WOL transparent.
Two problems: i. nobody (AFAIK) besides Apple has implemented a sleep
proxy server (there is one implementation of a registration client on
github I think), and ii. the client machine wakes-up by itself (and I
don't know if it logs why somewhere.)

4 SB 3 • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • Squeezebox Server 7.9 (linux) with
plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) •
Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me,
What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple •
Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • ShairTunes2 by disaster123 • Local Player, BBC iPlayer by
Triode • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.