mbg wrote:
> My default transcode setting for Boom had AAC transcoded to FLAC,
> causing a pipe into 'faad' and then into 'flac'. I tried changing the
> transcode to MP3 (i.e. disabling AAC->FLAC) so that only 'faad' was
> used. Only 'faad' was used, but the problem persisted.

The post is good but can be misleading in places..  The above point
about MP3 is wrong - if you disbale Flac then LMS would transcode AAC to
MP3 so you are not eliminating any transcoding processing.

ffmpeg and faad use the same encoding library - just that ffmpehg can
handle http/

The issue is not really about faad transcoding but about processing time
and time available to handle DNS while dealing with other LMS stuff.
The main problem with the rebuffering is due to DNS and there are some
fixes specific to this.  You didn't say whether you are using Window or
not and I believ there are specific DNS fixes to help Windows users.

LMS is coded to run on a single core - it will only use another core is
when a subprocess is created such as for transcoding (faad, flac,
ffmpeg, lame).

This means LMS has to deal with playing audio as well has HLS decode and
DNS lookups - so the basic speed of the system will matter.  Offloading
HLS processing to ffmpeg means moving the HLS and DNS lookups to a
second core and even on a single core (e.g Raspberry Pi) it is a second
process and so can be scheduled separately.