bpa wrote:
> The post is good but can be misleading in places..  The above point
> about MP3 is wrong - if you disbale Flac then LMS would transcode AAC to
> MP3 so you are not eliminating any transcoding processing.

Sure - I wasn't trying to imply that the transcoding load was being
decreased, just that there was one less process in the pipeline (i.e.
using AAC -> FLAC, both faad and flac were used in conjunction, whereas
with AAC -> MP3, I only saw one FAAD process running). I guess the
processing load would be similar, but I was just trying to determine
whether any of the codecs in the pipeline were causing the issue... so
by removing one factor (i.e. the separate flac binary), it seemed
useful.

> ffmpeg and faad use the same library so no difference in audio decoding
> processing load. Similarly ffmpeg and flac use the same encoding library
> so no difference in encoding load.  ffmpeg can handle http/HLS and then
> process the aac stream whereas faad can only process a stream of aac
> bytes - no transport protocol support at all so it needs LMS to strip
> http and HLS.
>
> The issue is not really about faad transcoding but about processing time
> and time available to handle DNS while dealing with other LMS stuff.
> Offloading processing from LMS such as aac decoding either by using a
> subprocess or to a player such as Touch helps.  The main problem with
> the rebuffering is due to DNS and there are some fixes specific to this.
> You didn't say whether you are using Window or not and I believ there
> are specific DNS fixes to help Windows users.
>
> LMS is coded to run on a single core - it will only use another core is
> when a subprocess is created such as for transcoding (faad, flac,
> ffmpeg, lame).
>
> This means LMS has to deal with playing audio as well has HLS decode and
> DNS lookups - so the basic speed of the system and  DNS reponse times
> (i.e. network, DNS servers and caches) will matter.  Offloading HLS
> processing to ffmpeg means moving the HLS and DNS lookups to a second
> core and even on a single core (e.g Raspberry Pi) it is a second process
> and so can be scheduled separately.

Maybe I should have specified - I'm running this on a Core i7-4770 with
SSDs and 32GB RAM and very little concurrent load during the testing.
This is on Windows Server 2012 R2.

For DNS, I'm using the Windows Server DNS service which relays to my ISP
for external lookups.