utgg wrote:
> It would be straightforward enough for me, or several people here for
> that matter, to provide a new version of the plugin including all the
> patches here - and hopefully maintain that as the BBC continues to
> change things. Triode has used the GPLv2 license for all his plugins, so
> it is fine to copy and modify the plugin so long as you comply with the
> GPLv2 conditions. Unless Triode reappears, we will need to do this
> before long anyway, since googlecode, where Triode has hosted all of his
> plugins, is due to shut down completely in February next year. Note that
> this also applies to the ever popular Spotify plugin.
>
> As bpa says, it is politeness to Triode (who may just happen to
> reappear), and just a little uneasiness with complying with those GPLv2
> conditions, that is stopping me. I don't even know where it is best to
> host the plugin, not having done anything like that before. I see there
> are plugins on sourceforge, but I'm a little uneasy with their terms and
> conditions with respect to that GPLv2 licence. Does anyone have any
> advice/experience of these things?

I think adding patches with the exisitng plugin may not be ocnsider a
derived work as the majority of the code is the same and the
functionality is the same.  As such I think the owner of the plugin is
still Triode and if the hosting access is the same (i.e. no financial
reward) as currently there should be no reason for Triode to sue.  The
other aspect is should

I host the plugin whether I am now open to litigation from say BBC or
anybody else who may have a patent on some part of the code. Triode had
some sort of informal "relationship" with BBC and so got technical
support and gave feedback. Judging by BBC with 3rd party Apps - they
seem to issue take down notices rather than litigate.

Given that I already host the Extras plugin (which is not as compliant
to BBC's T&Cs than BBCiPlayer) and have been open to litigation and now
have to move Extra plugin host site  - I shall look into hosting the
BBCiPlayer plugin as well - acknowledging the Triode is still the
owner/author and indicating where patches have been added.