I decided to remove the manual install of Squeezelite and installed the
'Local Player' plug-in via LMS. Can't believe I didn't know that was an
option. From the Settings page I can change drivers easily. That side of
thing seems OK now but I still can't get MP3 or Spotify working using
either the MME or ASIO driver.

I know this issue has been flogged but haven't found a straight forward
answer. I understood the Local Player plug-in had MP3 support built in?

I have unpacked MAD MPEG decoder on the player machine but don't know
whether it needs to sit in a certain directory.

Perhaps I am better taking discussion 'here'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97766-Announce-Local-Player-plugin-and-Squeezelite-for-Linux-Windows-OSX)
seeing I will stick with the plug-in installation.