Michael, I don't if you're still around and more especially if you still
have some memory about how your great plugin works but anyway I'll take
my chance ;)

I'm still around, yes. But my memory...

I would like to be able to update the gallery.prefs file and trigger the
update without restarting the whole LMS server, any hint that could
point me in the right direction ? (I can do a bit of perl but my
knowledge is more around bash & php).

There are CLI commands to handle the favorites lists. That's what the web UI is using, too.

gallery favorites file:/path/to/your/image.jpg

should return a list of favorites lists, with a isFavorite flag which would indicate whether your picture is in that list or not. You could then toggle that flag by sending

gallery favorites favid:XXX file:/path/to/your/image.jpg

where XXX is the index of the favorites list within the list of favorites as received by the first call.

At least that's what I read from the code... I haven't used that plugin for a while.
--

Michael