Jerry1964 wrote:
> Thanks all for the suggestions re moving away from Windows Server (I am
> still experiencing the same old problem). It seems my options are:
>
> 1. Keep using my old WHS box, even though WHS v1 is out of support, if
> it's only running LMS then the risk is very low (as others have said
> I've found LMS to run flawlessly on WHS)
> 2. Install a Linux VM under W2012 Server and run LMS on that
>
> Right - deep breath - I have little Linux experience so what's the
> easiest, least painful way of getting a) a suitable Linux environment up
> and running and then, b) installing/running LMS under it?
>
> (sorry, I know this isnt really a 3rd Party Plugin / BBC iPlayer
> question, but if I post it out of the blue elsewhere then the context
> will be lost).
>
> My MP3 files reside on a NAS (Lenovo ix2, inherited from work place) on
> the same LAN so I'll need to be able to access network shares/map disc
> drives/whatever the Linux equivalent terminology is. Other than that I
> cant think of any non-standard things that will be involved (other than
> running it under a W2012 Server VM but I've some prior experience of
> that so dont expect that to be an issue).
>
> Thanks again and please forgive my numpty Linux questions.
>
> Jerry

Before you go down the Linux router - you can try increaseing "prefetch"
whgich may buy some time and so minimise the effect of delays.

In the HLS.pm file - there is a line near the top

Code:

  use constant PRE_FETCH => 1; # number of chunks to prefetch

Stop LMS, edit the HLS.pm file and change the 1 to 2 or possibly 3 or 4
- then restart LMS.  See if it makes a difference.