To me that's been the solution for years already. I've toyed some with
smartmix, and tried Roon as well, but nothing comes close IMO. To me the
main advantage of MusicIP is that it doesn't really keep you locked into
a specific genre, but bases itself on acoustic suitability, which
neither the Echonest nor Roon's "Radio" function seem to be able to
reproduce as flawlessly.

As the author of SmartMix I have to second that comment (less the Roon experience - which I haven't tested). I indeed loved MusicIP's mixes better. But MIP a.) is a hassle to set up (I gave up at some point), and b.) doesn't support discovery through external music sources (streaming services). Therefore I started investigating TEN back then.

Where I'm personally going from here I still don't know. Limited resources will most likely lead to the cheapest/quickest solution to cover my personal needs: Don't Stop the Music based on Spotify's API...

--

Michael