Hi Karl,

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009, Karl O. Pinc wrote:

>> Do you have any ideas what might be going on here?
>
> Have you bound to an interface with 'interface'?
>
> Could be you're picking up, say, a file transfer to your gateway.
> You'd want to monitor your external interface, or filter out traffic to
> the box itself.

Good idea, but I am bound to interface eth0.

> As a debugging aid (or in general) you might consider putting your
> rfc1918 network in a networks file. With an aggregate on sum_net and
> without any other filters you get the cross product of all the
> possibilities so can see if there's traffic from/to the local network or
> other things you're perhaps not expecting. If nothing else a quick test
> with the memory plugin may be revealing.

Sorry, what is an aggregate on sum_net? I'm aggregating on ip_src and
ip_dst respectively in two different plugins.

I have been thinking about using a networks file, although I'm not sure
how to do it yet. I have just changed my configuration as follows:

aggregate[inbound]: dst_host, src_mac, dst_mac
aggregate_filter[inbound]: dst net 192.168.0.0/24 and not src net
192.168.0.0/24

aggregate[outbound]: src_host, src_mac, dst_mac
aggregate_filter[outbound]: src net 192.168.0.0/24 and not dst net
192.168.0.0/24

to hopefully exclude local traffic and also to see if some weird MAC
addresses are involved, e.g. multicast, spoofing. But I don't see traffic
in the gigabytes on either interface when this happens (internal or
external).

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.