I've started using PM tools for a new project I'm working on. After a while, I
started noticing a strange problem.
My setup is very simple:
* TCP packet generator sending out stateless TCP packets on eth1
* pmacctd started using:
pmacctd -c
src_mac,dst_mac,vlan,src_host,dst_host,src_port,dst_port,proto,tos,flows,tcpflags,cos
 -i eth1 -P nfprobe -f /tmp/pmacctd.conf
where pmacctd.conf is:
nfprobe_receiver: 127.0.0.1:2101
nfprobe_version: 9
* nfacctd started using:
pmacctd -c
src_mac,dst_mac,vlan,src_host,dst_host,src_port,dst_port,proto,tos,flows,tcpflags,cos
 -i eth1 -P sqlite3 -v 8 -f /tmp/collector.config
where collector.config:
sql_db: /tmp/collector.db

Running the above setup, I noticed that pmacctd shows more packets and bytes
that what I've actually sent out (and verified by tcpdump). About 30% more.
1) I tried using a different net flow collector. I tried using flow-tools
collector. The packet count showed correctly so I know it has to do with
pmacctd somehow.
2) I tried using the print plugin but that produced the same wrong counts.
3) I tried using the debug flag for pmacctd to see what's going on so I tried
to run it as (notice the location of -d):
pmacctd -c
src_mac,dst_mac,vlan,src_host,dst_host,src_port,dst_port,proto,tos,flows,tcpflags,cos
 -i eth1 -P sqlite3 -d -v 8 -f /tmp/collector.config
Still, produced the wrong numbers.
4) Next, I tried the same command only I placed the "-d" option as the first
parameter:
pmacctd -d -c
src_mac,dst_mac,vlan,src_host,dst_host,src_port,dst_port,proto,tos,flows,tcpflags,cos
 -i eth1 -P sqlite3 -v 8 -f /tmp/collector.config
Now, surprisingly that fixed the problem and the counters are correct!
5) Next I tried the same "-d" trick with the print plugin only but still
produced the wrong numbers.

So the only way to make it work is to run it in debug _and_ put the "-d" as the
first argument.

I tried the above scenarios several times to eliminate any chance of one-offs
or race conditions but the results were 100% consistent.

I hope that can give you some clues.

I'm using version 0.14.0rc3 built from source
uname -a
Linux ubuntu 3.0.0-12-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 7 14:50:42 UTC 2011 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux