Hi Thomas,

Comments in-line:

On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 02:48:33PM +0000, Thomas King wrote:

> We double checked the IPFIX data coming from our router. The sampling rate is
> contained in the data. It comes via a data record (template id=256) and the
> relevant fields are named samplingPacketInterval and samplingPacketSpace.
> Do you know if pmacct is able to recognise this information? Is there is
> anything else (configuration file wise) what we can do?

It definitely should. I recommend to send me over privately a brief
trace of a few IPFIX packets (templates and data records) to look into
the issue. If actual flow data records is a problem, you can send over
only the sampling related part (option template plus option record), it
might be sufficient to nail down the issue.

> We tried “aggregate: etype” but we then see just 0x0800 (IPv4) traffic. We do
> not see any 0x86dd (IPv6) traffic. I assume the reason is that the template
> (L2-IP) we use does not provide any ethernet type field as I just learned.
> From my understanding the field IP Version (IANA element ID=60) would be the
> one that should be inspected. Does pmacct support the IP Version field?

Not natively. But you have a framework, aggregate_primitives config
directive, and an example for its use in examples/primitives.lst in
the standard pmacct code distribution, to define custom primitives.

It should be as simple as you add the following to your config:

aggregate_primitives: /path/to/primitives.lst
aggregate: < .. other primitives .. >, ip_version

Then define ip_version primitive in /path/to/primitives.lst as:

name=ip_version field_type=60   len=1   semantics=u_int

> I would like to have a tool that takes all the data available from pmacct via
> a memory socket and writes it periodically to rrd files. At a first glance
> PNRG did this. However, if a rrd filename is like a mac address PNRG stops
> working. Additionally, PNRG is not supported anymore. So I am looking for a
> similar tool. Are you aware of any tool that does this?

No.