Luca,

I had already similar problems with raster layers like satellite images
and another layer like slopes, dem etc. It could also be vector layers
if they are not transparent.

I'm currently re-writing the part for the legend and layer display. One
simplistic solution for that is to define layers that should mutually be
disabled. This can be done by using radio buttons for them instead of
checkboxes.

There are maybe slight problems with regard to aesthetics and
consistency. First the radio buttons align different on Firefox that the
checkboxes. And also it might be confusing for users if you mix them.
But nevertheless, one can think about  to use it. I attached 2
screenshots that show how it looks like. If you group the raster layers
together it might look acceptable.

I will have to do some more testing. The PHP part is mainly finished,
just some Javascript that needs some fine-tuning. Then I will make a
development snapshot available for testing and hopefully it will go soon
into final releases.

Armin