Hi,

I have some questions regarding the "new" multilingual interface and
encoding.

The documentation says the default character encoding is UTF-8. This is
defined through defCharset parameter in config.ini I suppose (I can see
it is only used in common.php for header building).

First, for the map file, what if I have DESCRIPTION or CLASS names in
some other encoding? If I understand correctly, I can use map2unicode=1.
But this causes using utf8_encode function and this function encodes the
string to UTF-8 but it assumes the input string is in latin1
(ISO8859-1). So if my map file is using the encoding different from
ISO-8859-1, this will not work correctly? For example we are using
ISO-8859-2 or win-1250 encodings. What is the best way to correctly
display my DESCRIPTION and CLASS names if they contain some special
Croatian characters? I suppose I can't edit map file using UTF-8
encoding?

Second, for query results, is the LAYER_ENCODING metadata parameter
somehow related to label ENCODING parameter in mapfile?

Third, what if I want to use some other defCharset? What is the best way
to go? At this moment I have an older pmapper version that I had to
modify for correctly work with my data (I a displaying data on HTML page
in ISO-8859-2, but my dbf shape files have data in WIN-1250). What do
you suggest?

I think it would be the best to use UTF-8 for HTML displaying, with
LAYER_ENCODING for correct querying....so only thing left to do is
displaying some strings with special characters from the map file...

thanks very much

dejan