> So I can perform the translation of map file strings in language_xx.php
> file now? How is it done? Do I just set:
>
> $_sl["my_string"] = "my_translation";
>
> in my language_xx.php file?

yes, this is how it works since 1.2. (and note that language_xx.php has to
be encoded then in UTF8, so you need a text editor supporting Unicode).
Before 1.2, the annotations for all languages had to be in the map file
separated with '|'.

> That is OK too, but since my map file can be pretty large, I would like
> to try the other approach too. So we can use iconv() function instead of
> utf8_encode and define additional parameter for mapfile encoding right?

you have to modify the calls of 'utf8_encode()' to 'iconv()' in
initgroups.php for that. I will add this as necessary modification for the
next release.

armin