why don't you just put all your hotspot tiffs into an image catalog
(strangely called 'tileindex' in mapserver). And then use this tileindex
shapefile for zooming to the desired initial extent, using the functionality
to start the application zoomed onto an initial extent (there was a posting
2 days ago with regard to this function).

this functionality requires currently pmapper version 1, it's not included
in version 2 yet. Since you do not mention which one you are using (as at
least half of all others on this list), I cannot say if this is then working
for you.

armin