the s1 value has to be updated dynamically all the time the map is
resized. This has to be achieved by a Javascript function that gets the
new value based on the input parameters from the map (map height for
maximum zoom out in map coordinates) and height of the current map in
pixels.

An easy solution should be to write the initial max Y-extent ($y_dgeo)
to a JS variable via PHP and then use this one to calculate the new s1
value based on the updated map pixel-height. The Javascript function
would be similar to the 'returnmaxScale' in PHP. In most cases you will
just set the map resolution to 96 (the most reasonable value for it
since most users are using Windows that assumes a screen resolution of
96). And if assumes that you have metric coordinates.

armin