I made now some tests and could not reproduce neither of your problems.
If I define in pmMapSelectSettings
   keepSession:false

and in php.ini session.use-cookies is set to 0 then the default
groups/layers are correctly activated after changing to another map. You
can check that also by looking at the source code of the page and the JS
var PMap.defGroupList.

Also the permanent adding of and ampersand to the end of the config=xyz
does not happen for me. But I guess there are settings (in PHP? Apache?)
where the ampersand is added automatically, don't know why. In this case
your patch works correctly, otherwise it removes the needed ampersand.
In worst cases one can change the line

window.location = configUrl;
window.location = configUrl.replace(/&&/, '&');

I will add the possibility to delete all session variables (or just
specified ones), so this should then work even in case of use_cookies=1.

armin